Root Canal Therapy: Prevention from Extraction of your tooth.
A root canal treatment is a procedure to repair and save a tooth that is badly decayed and infected.
It is an alternative to having a tooth extracted.
It is important to know the tooth anatomy to completely understand about the Root Canal Treatment.
The tooth is divided into 2 portions –
- Root – The part of the tooth that lies beneath the gums and is surrounded by bone.
- Crown – The part of the tooth which is visible in your mouth above the gums.
The crown of the Tooth consists of 3 layers – Enamel, Dentin, and Pulp.
The pulp is like a channel that runs to the entire length of the tooth.
The pulp is the vital organ of the tooth as it consists of nerves, blood vessels, and soft tissue.
Root canal treatment is required when the pulp is damaged or infected.
– Deep dental caries (bacteria associated with caries) – Periodontal disease
-Grossly decayed tooth (microorganisms associated with caries) – Periapical lesions
-Fracture of the tooth – Deep/large faulty fillings
– Trauma to the tooth – Severely Attrited or Abraded teeth
Single visit Root Canal Treatment is gaining credentials with the advancements in dentistry, using the latest technology.
The number of visits for Root Canal Treatment depends on the condition of the tooth
- Diagnosis and Treatment planning
- X-Ray to determine the tooth anatomy and check for any signs of infection in the surrounding bone (periapical lesions)
- Anesthetize the tooth so that the entire procedure is Painless
- Caries excavation
- Debridement of the pulp tissue – Removal of damaged and diseased pulp from the inside of the tooth using rotary endodontic files
The pulp chamber is irrigated with saline or distilled water and antimicrobial solution to kill any remaining bacteria, to reduce the risk of further infection and flush out the debris
- The cleaned and dried pulp chamber is now filled and sealed with an inert filling material that is Guttapercha.
This completes the root canal filling. Then, a permanent tooth filling is done using Composite restorative material.
- If there is a Periapical infection, then Intra Canal medicament is placed in the chamber and is left for 2-3 weeks (changed periodically, if necessary) and a temporary filling is done over it. This intracanal medicament is biocompatible and it acts as an antimicrobial by Inhibiting coronal invasion of bacteria, It also disinfects the root canal, and helps in controlling periapical lesion (cysts, abscess)
- Thus, Root Canal Treatment is done to eliminate the irreversibly damaged and infected pulp and to preserve the tooth. Root Canal Treatment saves the tooth from extraction
- The irreversibly damaged and infected pulp can cause you dreadful dental pain
- Swelling that may spread to other areas of face, neck
- The bacteria associated with dental caries will continue to multiply in the damaged pulp chamber resulting in periapical infection
- Bone loss around the tip of the root which will weaken the tooth
- The periapical infection can manifest in
Peri apical cyst and abscess
Peri apical abscess is a pus filled pocket that forms at the end of roots of the tooth
- Pus drainage – drainage in the gums or in the severe condition through the cheeks to drainage into the skin
- Sinus opening
You should consider having a permanent crown fixed to prevent tooth breakage.
At Excel Dental Care, we offer a wide variety of Dental Crowns like Metal crowns, Porcelain fused to Metal Crown, Zirconia crowns, All ceramic crown, E-max crowns, Bruxzir crowns.
We have adopted the Best Technological Advancements in Dentistry to deliver the Best Dental Service to you
At Excel Dental Care, we have adopted breakthrough innovations in visualization, instrumentation, obturation and surgical endodontic techniques which enables our doctors to work more precisely and results in efficient predictably successful treatment results.
New Technologies used in Root Canal Treatment at Excel Dental Care which ensures precise treatment, success and good prognosis
- Dental operating microscopes: The important revolution in the field of endodontics is the introduction of the Dental Operating Microscope, which helps to view beyond naked eyes.
At Excel Dental Care we take pride in the adaptation of this optical aid which is known to drastically improve the magnification, illumination, and resolution by many orders of magnitude which results in precise treatment. and a great successful prognosis. Thus, a dental operating microscope has redefined the concept of visualization.
At Excel Dental Care, microscopic Root Canal Treatment is done using Dental Operating Microscope that is considered an essential element in the dental practice to enhance the quality of work, leading to good prognosis obtain acceptable outcome and to provide you the best dental health
Digital Dental Radiography is an invaluable aid in diagnosing dental disease. Exposure time for digital radiographs is about 50% less compared to traditional radiographs, thus the radiation exposure to the patients and dental team is less.
Rotary Endodontics – The recent innovation in the field of endodontics/root canal therapy is the introduction of rotary endodontic files.
Benefits of rotary endodontic files are
- Improved treatment efficiency
- High precision
- Improved procedural simplicity
- Improved safety and consistency of result
- Patients are more comfortable
- Faster treatment time
Nickel Titanium rotary endodontic files are the breakthrough innovation in root canal therapy which are more flexible, high precision work and results in improved procedural efficiency.
Anaesthetics – We have painless injection techniques, for this helps to ward off the fear of the patients. So local anaesthetic injections are really painless.
High Torque motor handpiece to effectively shape the root canal system
Ultrasonic instruments help in location of calcified canals cleaning and sterilization of the root canal (by the production of ultrasonic vibrations) to prep up the root canal to receive the GP filling.
Apex Locators – The electronic apex locator is used to determine the position of the apical constriction and thus determine the length of the root canal space by finding the apex through sound waves. Thus apex locator helps to clean and removes infection in the entire length of the root canal system which is a significant guide for the success of Root Canal Treatment.
Laser Root Canal Therapy – At Excel Dental Care we use the Dental laser to disinfect and sterilize the root canal system.
How painful is a root canal treatment?
With the usage of new technology armamentarium, the Root Canal Treatment is almost painless.
How long does a Root Canal Treatment take?
You can expect 1 or 2 appointments of 60 minutes each to complete the Root Canal Treatment.
Which is better Root Canal Treatment or Removal of the tooth?
Root Canal Treatment should always be the preferred choice. Root Canal Treatment is repairing and saving your natural tooth so that it can remain in place to serve the function and aesthetics as well.
Removal of tooth will cost you less and take less time. But, with the removal of the tooth , you will be unnecessarily losing your natural tooth. After tooth removal you should consider replacing the missing tooth to serve the function of the tooth and for aesthetics
Replacement of tooth – Bridge or Implant.
Is crown necessary after a Root Canal Treatment?
The premolars and molars definitely require a dental crown after Root Canal Treatment for the purpose of chewing and esthetics. Root Canal Treatment treated tooth will be weak. So if a crown is not placed then there are chances of teeth becoming more brittle and breakage.
For incisors and canines, if there is not much loss of tooth structure, then an esthetically pleasing composite restoration is done. Although the need for a crown on the anterior tooth depends on the remaining tooth structure. But, for a grossly decayed tooth and a broken tooth, a dental crown is required.
What are the signs that you need a root canal?
- Grossly decayed tooth – Severe tooth pain
- Swelling – Discolouration of the tooth
- Fractured tooth – Pus drainage
- Sinus opening – Prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold temperature